Thursday, September 19, 2013

What 0.6b will bring

Still working on getting a handle on the code again so no ETA but I'd figure that I'd make a feature list for 0.6b for all of you.  The first two are spoilers in a small sense.  I've hinted and said them before but some people don't want them.  They are written in a white font so you'll have to highlight them to read them.



-Climax of Terra's arc.  And yes  it will involve quite a few climaxes
-Resolution of Vanessa's disappearance and Ariel/Cecilia will make an appearance.
-Complete removal of the random encounter system with a random event system in its place.  While this isn't used all that often in 0.6 content it will give me far more flexibility with random encounters in any zone.
-The id ring has resumed some functionality as a guide, pointing the player to the next step of the main plot.  Very much in beta stages and needing feedback for when it doesn't work properly.
-Fenja has been reclassified as a minor (or inventory) slave.  Essentially her quest will remain as it is but after she's captured there isn't any additional content for her.  Essentially it allows me to create minor slaves at the end of an optional segment or when the character would normally buy/acquire a new slave but without the burden of really creating a character or weaving her into the plot.  While there will still be more major characters introduced it gives me more flexibility in writing.
-Over 90% of people in the survey voted yes to letting me break old saves, so that will be done.  Saves will be provided whenever 0.6b is released.
-Continued editing and polishing.  While the Corsix edit is still a few months away, Western Corsix and before should be much cleaner.  Along with a change in workflow to increase accuracy it should be far easier to read  Thanks to Hitoroni on this.
-New faces.  While this isn't complete, TheEye92 showed me a few issues with my workflow in creating faces that was creating the heavily pixelated look and new faces should be much smoother.  Over time I'll work on going back and replacing as many of the old faces as possible.
-Donna's first two scenes on the dark path have been completely rewritten and imaged.  That was some of my very early rough work and really needed to be updated.  Feel free to [politely] suggest other scenes/events that could use a rewrite and I'll put them on the list.
-I haven't counted precisely yet, but 0.6b should bring on another 100-150 pages of text and another 30 scenes or so.  Wow I really am developing like Valve.
-Rebalancing of characters to make combat more enjoyable and smooth.  This has been going on for a few updates and has gotten to the point where old saves must be junked and new games must be created.

What 0.6b will not include
-With the exception of Donna's first two scenes, any new Celee (colonies) content. 
-The ability to go back after entering Corsix.  This will be the end of the current rails section, 0.6c is planning on opening up the world again.

30 comments:

  1. It sounds good. Thanks for the update :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's got those moves like Valve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ker. Longtime fan here. Why do't you use offbeatr to raise enough money to hire an extra programmer or writer, or to devote more time to the game. I've seen projects make over 12,000 dollars with comparatively little clout. Your game has had a massive amount of downloads and is hugely known within the hentai game sphere. For rewards you can offer names in the credits, and maybe offer to make sufficiently high donators come up with an idea for a girl.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Offbeatr projects can't contain non-consensual sex which Harem as quite a bit of.

      There's other reasons, but that one alone is sufficient.

      Delete
  4. Developing like Valve, eh? Hope you don't run out of stea*SHOT*

    >_>

    <_<

    Aaaaaaannyway~ sounds like good stuff. Can't bring myself to do dark path stuff, so hope light path with benefit from new faces and such as well. Looking forward to gameplay changes and I'll try to remember to give feedback on those once .6b comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So,so freaking stoked!

    To the above poster- I suggested the same on the last update, but Ker replied that he likely wouldn't for the reason I listed, namely that offbeatr is more designed to start projects, rather than being halfway or something.

    I definitely think this point has merit...though, honestly, there are ways around it "Harem 0.7", or Harem Part II or something...

    But yeah, I super agree with the main sentiment- we're all itching to support you Ker! Recently I've been supporting a few projects which I like, but none of them come close to Harem...especially when it comes to story quality.

    And to your reply on the last post that it'd be bad form to monetize after an extended absence... personally I wouldn't think it bad form at, especially if you implemented after 0.6b.

    Anyway, very, very excited to hear about the progress...and I'm actually happy about the need to start over again for another play-through.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very excited to hear about the progress you've made and what's to come. I can't wait to replay it with some new somewhat more balanced combat and the ability to continue on through to the temple past the Tenta monestary. Although it doesn't look like we'll get our full harem back yet, I can't wait for the day when we get to the capital to reclaim them all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's been retconned a bit. While they aren't in 0.6b they aren't that far off.

      Delete
    2. Ah, so the Harem isn't being taken to the Capital, but they will be held somewhere relatively close and we'll be able to get the back soonish?

      Delete
  7. Random humble suggestion:

    Combat balance: nerf the super healer. It's been a while since I played the game but Angelica? Has the ability to heal all between combat. I remember you saying that you couldn't fix it because of code issues. Perhaps embrace it then. Make it plain that is what she does, and nerf how much she heals per usage so that it is not as good during combat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading this I have an idea. So how the code works currently either the character regens all or no energy between fights. No energy nerfs her too far (as would making her ineffective in combat) but having her at full energy between fights is too powerful. I usual balance toward easy but I'll talk to my scripter to see if the code could be changed to energy regen per step. So Angelica would probably regen all energy between fights, but if you stop you can run her out of energy quickly.

      Delete
    2. That sounds like a good idea. I know that at the beginning I used Donna as a healer most of the time because I've always been a fan of mana and didn't quite get the energy concept, but ever since I had to use Angelica I ended up relying on her to heal the moment I could. The only downside is that she doesn't heal as much in a pinch as Donna can, but once you're out of combat she's almost a game-breaker because there's no cost to using her to heal you.

      Delete
    3. Just adding my two cents, I rather like Angelica as she is now. If you take a vote on whether to nerf her or not, I gotta vote "no"

      Delete
  8. And a random, crazy thought that ran through my head, no disrespect is intended to your soundtrack but how difficult would it be to plug in a utility that allows players to use Music from their own libraries, like the "User Tracks" Station in Grand Theft Auto?

    As I said, just a random crazy thought.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably profoundly. I wouldn't have the first idea of where to start. I might be able to make an event that nixes any built in music though.

      Delete
  9. climax's if you know what he means!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. After reading over this a bit, I thought I'd suggest this. If you are on the good side, then the old slaves can't be broken, and if you're on the bad side they can be, or something of the sort. Would be great if we had the choice in on this in-game because it would defiantly get me to play through the dark side which currently I won't do because the good side just has better perks. Anyway I thought I'd bring this up because it not only gives me incentive to see what happens on the bad side, but if it was a choice I'd probably give it a few more play throughs than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by 'broken'? As in, the Ratan officials can't 'break' your slaves' love of you if you're on the good side while they are in captivity, but if you're on the evil path then they can and will refuse to continue to accept you as their master even though your holy cum has done them in?

      Delete
    2. Yes, that's exactly what I mean xD

      Delete
    3. To me, it doesn't make much sense that your "magic cum" turns out nearly useless just like that.

      Delete
  11. I hope these 10+- months of non-updating will bring at least 16 hours or gameplay >.>

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you don't use the pre-packaged saves, yes there will be. Especially if you don't read the wiki and/or take your time.

      It's nearly impossible for me to judge gameplay time as I can get through the content at peak speed and really have no idea what it takes to play through 0.6a

      Delete
  12. same as others i'm really looking forward to 0.6b and also willing to support u in terms of donation

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love it, willing to support if / when eta is more known.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Ker, not to derail this thread but I have finished playing the latest release of Harem and I have to say I love this game.

    If you don't mind I'd like to do a review of your game on my hentai game review blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love it if you would. I found your blog while poking around Harem Collector (unfortunately I haven't had a chance to play it yet) and was planning on asking you to review Harem after I released 0.6b. But now sounds fine as well.

      To everyone else reading this, Kargan's blog is over at
      http://kargan3033.blogspot.com/?zx=5c56353fc34d54d6
      Make sure to recommend some other games for him to review as well!

      Delete
    2. Ok Ker I'll do up the review of your fine game in a few minutes.

      I have found one bug with the game, after your trial in Corsix you main chater's name changes back to Ralph, other then that I did not find any other bugs.

      Delete
  15. Hey Ker the review for Harem is done if you wish to read it over.

    I hope you and your team will keep up the good work in making this fine hentai rpg.

    ReplyDelete