Friday, December 6, 2013

Harem 0.6b Public Beta released!

Harem 0.6b has reached public beta!  Much thanks to all of my hard working testers, you caught so many bugs that would of made the game not playable, as well as many small ones which had slipped through the prior releases as well.  This should be the cleanest, most legible version of Harem ever!

A few notes :
-Initially 0.6b was about 160mb large which is too large for the VX packager.  So I compressed the images and audio down quite a bit and made the package only 70mb.  I might of been a bit to aggressive in the compression so I'm also uploading the uncompressed media.  If you want to use it, download it and over-write the graphics and audio folders with the other images.  Should work just fine.
-There was a bug in the encrypter so this is my first version in a very long time that's unecrypted.  Not quite sure why I always encrypted it anyways.  If you want to see how Harem is made you can dig around in the game files (VX required of course) but be warned.  There are spoilers, false flags and much randomness inside the code and if you have programming experience it may cause you to scream in pain.
-When I do a 'final' release I'll be doing the usual email to mediafire option for those people who can't get RG/FF/BS to work.  Please don't e-mail me about it until then.  I will try to add more hosts over time.
-I'm still working on providing saves to skip existing content.  They will be provided in the next week or two (certainly before 0.6b is final).
-I am calling this a public beta.  I got all the bugs that we found, but I'm sure have slipped through.  If getting a bug would be traumatic to you, wait a few weeks for the 'final' version to be released.  There will not be any content differences between them.
-Install the RTP if this is your first time playing a RPG maker VX game.  Instructions on the side as well as in the readme file

Links obsolete

I'm going to ask anyone who wants to give feedback to use one of the linked forums on the right instead of the comments here.  The blog was created to reduce the fluff posts in my threads there as well as to give a less annoying place to the 'status update please' posts but I think it's gone too far and the threads are getting less traffic then I'd like.  The threads are how new players find the game, so if you think that it's worth playing, well please tell them that it is where they'll read it!  Bug reports can be emailed, commented or posted in the forums.


Patch notes : (spoilers in white font, highlight to read)


-Retcons - Vanessa met you in Denai, regardless of path.  Both paths she told you to flee and then you don't see her again.

       -Denai wasn't burnt to the ground.

-Numerous map and faces upgrades

-Climax of Terra's arc.

-Resolution of Vanessa's disappearance and Ariel/Cecilia will make an appearance.

-Complete removal of the random encounter system with a random event system in its place.  While this isn't used all that often in 0.6 content it will give me far more flexibility with random encounters in any zone.

-The id ring has resumed some functionality as a guide, pointing the player to the next step of the main plot.  Very much in beta stages and needing feedback for when it doesn't work properly.

-Fenja has been reclassified as a minor (or inventory) slave.  Her quest will remain as it is but after she's captured there isn't any additional content for her.  Essentially it allows me to create minor slaves at the end of an optional segment or when the character would normally buy/acquire a new slave but without the burden of really creating a character or weaving her into the plot.  While there will still be more major characters introduced it gives me more flexibility in writing.

-Over 90% of people in the survey voted yes to letting me break old saves, so that will be done.  Saves will be provided whenever 0.6b final is released.

-Continued editing and polishing.  While the Corsix edit is still a few months away, Western Corsix and before should be much cleaner.  Along with a change in workflow to increase accuracy it should be far easier to read  Thanks to Hirotono on this.

-New faces.  While this isn't complete, TheEye92 showed me a few issues with my workflow in creating faces that was creating the heavily pixelated look and new faces should be much smoother.  Over time I'll work on going back and replacing as many of the old faces as possible.

-Donna's first two scenes on the dark path have been completely rewritten and imaged.  That was some of my very early rough work and really needed to be updated.  Feel free to [politely] suggest other scenes/events that could use a rewrite and I'll put them on the list.

-I haven't counted precisely yet, but 0.6b should bring on another 100-150 pages of text and another 30 scenes or so.  Wow I really am developing like Valve.

-Rebalancing of characters to make combat more enjoyable and smooth.  This has been going on for a few updates and has gotten to the point where old saves must be junked and new games must be created.

-Made it easier to find the fights to do the hunting quest

-Finding Terra's memories in her mind is a bit easier to do now

-Removed timer from Corsix quests.  It never worked properly.

-Added quite a bit of new music


71 comments:

  1. Great Work I love the game

    ReplyDelete
  2. Santa came early this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. One bug so far, defeat the pirates and find their hidden basement, but you can't leave the basement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. The event at the exit exists and look proper. Can you email a save to haremrpg@gmail.com so I can take a look?

      Delete
    2. This bug happened to me as well, so do you still need a save? Or was is already fixed?

      Delete
    3. Yes. As far as I can see the exit event is fine.

      Delete
    4. I had that happen, you cannot climb the stairs up, you must be on the ground and press enter, will leave basement properly then.

      Delete
    5. Ok, figured the issue out. The ladder does have a exit event, but its triggered by action button vs touch. Currently you have to press the button at the base (not the top) of the ladder to leave. In the next version it will be on touch

      Delete
  4. got 1 bug do far you don't get any exp from killing random encounters not in the first cave or against the mountain goblins

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thats by design i belive.
      you lvl up by getting more girls.

      Delete
    2. Correct. There hasn't been xp in Harem since 0.2 I think

      Delete
  5. Heres a bug: You can't Sarah via the evil poison powder path. I tried in both with the debug on and in a new game with debug mode off. When you try to enter the town, it doesn't trigger the "wait until nighttime" question, so you can never break into her house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you talk to Lex in the Fishing village to get the poison? You have to get that before the question pops up. If so, please send a save to haremrpg@gmail.com so I can take a look.

      Delete
  6. Thank you for making this game.
    I don't know if other have the same question.
    The bug that after Angelica’s Quest (girls search someone to vote innocent in Corsix) other girls go to Earthly Delights right down room to find Edrin is fixed. Now after the quest, other girls can walk through right side curtain in Earthly Delights but can’t walk out there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great game, love it !

    ReplyDelete
  8. hey is there anyway to make the full screen bigger im using 1980x1080 so the screen is very small in fullscreen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same guy EDIT: or somehow being able to fill up the screen in fullscreen when i go in fullscreen i get these huge black borders and tiny screen for game

      Delete
    2. The VX engine is over 6 years old now and designed for casual development. It's low resolution. I've already used a script to increase the resolution as much as possible. It's as good as it's going to get :)

      Delete
  9. Wow! Look at all the bugs! *trembles at the thought of the closed beta bugs*

    Anyways here are some types of proiblems I found. I am assuming you know most of them, and I didn't keep track as I was playing because I didn't expect so many.
    I went mostly dark (largely because I remember the light path better) and I found quite a few bugs. Mostly with things like events that show up early, and some that don't delete. I even found what I believe is the home base for the light path with my party in it.

    There was a very noticeable lack of choices this side of the mountain. About the only ones were during the trial (guilty or innocent really) and who to defeat during your temple quest.

    I also noticed that you have written it as if I said dark for every choice. Truth is I didn't go pure dark. Although fixing this would take a lot of time.(story wise if nothing else)

    If you want any specifics, just ask.. I didn't actually keep track because I wasn't expecting quite so many after the closed beta.

    Also in the southernmost town there are roofs and fences that fail the crash test when hit from the side.
    In the same town I can't seem to find the cabin, but the girls are already mysteriously back at base as if I rescued them. Not sure if I missed it or it isn't in yet :/ I also ran out places to go but don't know if it is because there aren't any, or I am blind.

    If this took you a year of work, I suggest maybe doing releases every few months to stop so many bugs getting through, (and helps when locating them too) but this is mostly just my preference here.

    I will probably be playing the Light side soon and will be keeping better track of the bugs I find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you had been reading the blog, you'd see that no, this wasn't a continuous line of work over the year. And yes, when i call something a public beta it is assumed there will be bugs in it. But whatever, thanks for the report. I'll correct them internally and have it fixed for the final release.

      0.6a/b are admittedly linear with a definite story to tell. More free-form and choice based gameplay will start to show up again in 0.6c and hopefully beyond.

      Talking with Ariel in the base, she does tell you that her cabin is West of Meti, not inside of Meti.

      Let me know what bugs you find in the light path. I'll fix them for final.

      Delete
  10. thanks ker i am so glad that you continue the great work
    share online links for the game
    0.6b
    http://www.share-online.biz/dl/Q3JK3IXMQZQ
    better media
    http://www.share-online.biz/dl/4TVWBIXMSWH
    im a premium user so they wont be deleted

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I haven't seen any issues players are having downloading the game so for now I'll keep on using mine. I may use yours as a direct email link if anyone can't get those working.

      Delete
  11. Damn looks like you been busy for this one nice work :)
    Can't wait to try it out once I am finished with my fan fiction xD

    ReplyDelete
  12. When used against Sarah, the assess skill does nothing. Everytime a new character joins the group, members not in the active party do not get healed so you have to rest again with them in your party.

    I can't get any brothel scenes to activate.

    Fenja's original default face came up after talking to her after her first sex scene after her rescue.

    After beating the Tentable King and going back into the mine to get to the Magic Flame, I got ambushed by Tentacle Monsters again.

    The way Ariel's cabin is designed looks like there's no way in.

    Some dialogue notes include Angelica saying we shouldn't explore why Terra is in danger, but she's been rescued. After Ariel was taken Teresa still says she is a gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Assess - fixed for final
      Brothel - next blog post for more information
      Fenja's face - fixed for final
      Tentacle again - fixed I think for final
      Ariel's cabin - Only appears if you'd captured Cecilia. Then talk to her in the base and she'll tell you to go there
      You need to see Terra's last scene before Angelica will let you explore.

      Delete
  13. Did a full replay as full Light path; bugs that jumped out at me are

    First Corsix quest (as Sarah) still had a timer.

    Several of the 'side' scenes with your harem triggered before the storyline events (I'd be more specific, but I wasn't taking notes..)

    Unsure if it was a typo, but when Teresa sens you looking for Ariel, she states that Ariel voted against me in the trial, in spite of the fact I did Cecillia's quest in Corsix and Ariel voted for me.

    Multiple occasions (after West Corsix) where the text wrap in the speech box didn't act correctly, tucking letters and occasionally whole words off the right side of the screen.

    Finally, multiple occasions of incorrect syntax. By this, I mean that the wrong words was used, or a word was left out that should have been there.


    All of that said, this is already a very fun game, and I enjoyed it immensely! Thank you very much for developing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm. I can't find where Teresa even mentions Ariel. Can you tell me where so I can fix it?

      Delete
    2. Nevermind, found and fixed

      Delete
  14. cant play it, says "RGSS202E.dll could not be found"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, forgot to link that in the blog. On the right side under downloads you'll see

      "All RPG maker games requrie RTP installed, download it here - note readme link directs to VX ACE and you must use the VX RTP package"

      Click on that and install the RTP

      Delete
    2. thank you, will try the game now :)

      Delete
  15. found a bug. I was able to get ariel before teresa telling about her living to the south. Now she told me about it, after i sent vanessa back and talked to teresa about the tram, so now i am stuck

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What do you mean by stuck? Once you've captured Vanessa and gone to Ariel's house west of Meti that's the end of content.

      Delete
    2. yeah, but after i saved terra i was able to go to the city south, there i found ariel, and got her plus cecilia and noemi back, but after i save vanessa teresa tells me to go south to get ariel

      Delete
    3. Ok, found the bug where a conditional talking to Teresa will never recognize that you've finished 0.6b. I'll fix it in final, but you have finished 0.6b

      Delete
  16. get a C++ run time error in the jungle orc camp if i kill them or leave one of the building i get it file:E:tools\boost_1_31_0\boost/shared_ptr.hpp
    line: 254
    expression: px != 0
    not shore if that helps

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you email a save to haremrpg@gmail.com so I can try to figure out where this is?

      Delete
  17. I dont if its bug but after i found how to get in the forest to get terra back! after scene with angel in collar! i went in, gad some dialog with slaves i think, then went out and cant get in anymore! it says i need to go to talk with Danielle and i go to her but she gives only options to sleep, leave or nothing! I will send you save so you can check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And is it possible to repair save file! I created only one and it is in loop!

      Delete
    2. Fixed. an event in the dark forest that is supposed to happen repeated which reset your progression. Fixed in final

      Delete
  18. The quest in the goblin cave when you get to the orc village behind eleen is broken, crashes game if you re enter the chief house, and quest wont complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you send a save from immediately before the crash to haremrpg@gmail.com

      Delete
  19. Two things: the brothel scenes are not working (no matter how far you go or how long you wait); and a "shortcut" in a library in the castle, pratically halfway between donna and angelica. It opens the quest of the "misterious winged lady", you probably want to comlpete that before people go roaming in the empty room.

    Still this game is getting even better, expecially the bounty sistem. more money (and better equipment) without tedious grinding. You must be proud of making the better game of this kind and still be able to improve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to clarify the brothel system in a blog post, but with my own testing it does work as intended.

      The winged lady quest isn't supposed to be accessible, nor do I know why there was a secret passage to her room. That's been removed unless moonblack wants to ever finish it :)

      Delete
  20. i cant seem to find any srange fungus in the tentacle cave after the one angelica licked no matter how many beasts i slay

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just wanted to say thank you ker for what you do. I have been a fan of this game for a long time and i can't wait to play through all the new content. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  22. So... Is there anything to do after getting Ariel? Because strangely, Noemi suddenly appear in my room despite supposedly being captured. (Dark path)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you captured Cecilia earlier there's another scene in her home west of Meti. Otherwise once you're resolved Vanessa and Ariel anything else is just talking to people (and occasionally having sex with) people in your base.

      Delete
    2. I never found Cecilia. That's the problem.

      Delete
    3. I have the same Problem. I got Ariel from the brothel in Meti, she told me that Cecilia has a Cabin in the Woods near the Beach during her third Scene there. But that Location never showed up on my map, in the Coven i can not talk to Ariele, she just tells me that her other room was nicer. And Noemi is in my room, but i could never free her because i didn't find the cabin or cecilia.

      Delete
    4. Third anonymous, please send me a save.

      2nd - Ariel has no more content after the whorehouse if you haven't captured Cecilia. In fact she should vanish. If she isn't, please send me a save as well.

      Delete
    5. Maybe I did something wrong... Where is Cecilia anyway?

      Delete
    6. Same anon here. After doing Light path, I see what's wrong. When Ariel is gained on Dark Path, she give no special text for next part.

      But I wonder... How are you supposed to find Cecilia before Ariel anyway?

      Delete
    7. Her trigger is wrong in the beta. It'll be fixed in the next patch and should be retroactive.

      Delete
  23. Just finished playing through all available content that's currently there I have to say it feels quite polished already action wise but before a final release do a spell check :P I think for some of the texts you were typing them late at night. But besides that great game enjoyed it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately RPG maker doesn't have a spell check button, nor any easy export/import options from word processors. While I don't have any way of counting I'd guess there's over 1k pages of text in the game.

      The spell check process is going through each text-box (redundant in many places) and hand correcting every error. It's an extremely long process which HirotonoRei has been working through.

      Delete
    2. It's a shame it's such a tiresome process, next time I play through the game I'll try and write down as many as I can, might make it easier for you :)

      Delete
    3. Please do. I'll pass it along to my editors.

      Delete
  24. The compressed media destroyed some of the pictures contents so unless you are willing to check them all for the defect ones and then fix them I'd suggest you stay with the old ones ...

    ReplyDelete
  25. was doing the Orc/Goblin quest and when I got through the cave and found the Jungle Orc camp an error came up saying the Audio for bird_land_001. is missing and then the game closes on me. Is there a way to get the audio file?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. same anon - Never mind, I downloaded the game again and this time it was there.

      Delete
  26. got any guide ?? stuck after get noemi little sister or stuck at orc cave. need find some explosion where to find ??

    ReplyDelete
  27. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  28. talk to the officials of wesern corsix ? where is this ?
    thanks

    ReplyDelete